Couples Therapy using Imago Relationship Therapy
(Skype sessions available)
For couples therapy sessions, I recommend 75 or 90 minute sessions.
This unique approach to therapy is focused on personal growth and healing through committed relationships and brings together the major psychological theories of the century. IRT proposes that there is an unconscious purpose (we call it imago) guiding us in our selection of a mate and our conduct of our relationships. The difficulties we experience arise from our lack of awareness about what we’re doing in our relationships, not from our choice of partners.
(See also brief article: What is Imago Relationship Therapy?)
IRT is for Couples who…
- Are just beginning a relationship
- Want to enrich their relationship
- Are experiencing difficulties and want to resolve their conflicts
- Are considering divorce but want to see if they can work things out
What You Can Expect from Me…
- A commitment to 10-12 session with you
- To provide you with in-between-session assignments that help you deepen your understanding of yourself and your partner
- To coach you using a process that will make it safe for you to share in our sessions
- To teach you skills that will help you resolve conflict and enhance your joy together
What I Expect from You…
- To commit to 10-12 sessions of therapy (not necessarily weekly)
- To reschedule a missed appointment as soon as possible
- To read or listen to Making Marriage Simple or Getting the Love You Want or Receiving Love by Harville Hendrix and Helen LaKelly Hunt
- To practice Couples Dialog at home (Don’t panic. I’ll teach you safe and fun ways to do this.)
- To attend a Couples Workshop as your earliest convenience
Contact Doreen Van Leeuwen at 951-847-7742 for information and registration.